Episode 03 - When I was in SS2



One could start with a pair of shoes sitting on his chair, clothes scattered abroad like sprinkled water. One could also notice a pack of biscuit nylon situated adjacent to Dele’s head. However, what mattered to him was the extravagant jingling and ringing of the bell by his father.
Mr Akin yawned as he rang the bell but the sound spread quickly like a bedspread across the house. Everyone including myself came to the sitting room to take our morning devotion, after which we will go on to prepare for school. It was 7 minutes past 7am when I got out of the bathroom. I would have to leave home by 7:30pm if I don’t want to be late for school. I had everything planned out and it had always worked out for me. As I wanted to wear my socks, I found out that they were dirty as always, so I took a soap from the kitchen, silently washed them and pressed them with an iron. It was a bad habit but was comfortable nonetheless.
I took to my heels to arrive at the gate as the punctuality prefect, Senior Grace, was already waiting for the appointed time; so she can test the freshly cut sticks on her enemies' back. Funmi, my sister, and I went to the assembly ground after dropping our bags in the class. She was in JSS3 while I was in SS2. During the assembly, I could hear the cries and weeping of the latecomers. Their groaning made them pitiable, but I was less concerned. The finger that sins must be punished. 
30 minutes past 4pm, I got home. I was already tired like every other day — the lectures, class works and so on; even the long walk to school was in itself tiring. 
‘Funmilola!, Funmi!’ — my mother shouted as she threw a log of wood at an invader which was a goat. 
“She is not here”, I said calmly. I was less concerned until she called my own name. “What! Why will you switch to me when my sister was alive” — I wondered. It was my parent routine nature to call another child if the initial one doesn’t respond but I hated it.
I stood up, pulling all my strength together and I rummaged the whole house to find her. “Mom is calling you jare” — I said as she was lying down stylishly on mummy’s bed. There was no response but I knew she was definitely not sleeping. So, I went close, laughed and started to tickle her. She started to smile and then laughed as she could no longer hold it.
“You are very stupid; you think I won’t know? If I slap you” — I said angrily.
Fast-forward five hours, we were done with our evening devotions, and I was in my bed, planning how I will woo Ajoke, one fine girl in SS1 when I suddenly remembered that I had not done my assignment. I was so angry because I was stressed out and moody. 
When I woke up the next morning, it was already past 7am. I found out that I had slept around 2am and it was, of course, physiological that I wake up by this time. I mounted courage, washed my legs, arms and face; put on my dirty socks and rolled them a bit. I carried my bag and left for school.
My sister had already left. Since I was already late, it was only sensible that I just walk majestically. I knew I was guilty and so, there was no point arguing with my mind.
As I got to the gate, I went to the teacher on duty, and she assigned me some works to do. After I was done, I reported back to her. As I was about to leave her front, she noticed that my socks were grey rather than white.
“Did you wash your socks.”, she asked.
“Yes I did.”
“Put off your shoes.”
“I…”
“Shut up boy, just put it off.”
There was quite a large crowd around. It was like a game of Joker where everyone wants to see my card. This time, mine was really a disaster. The shrill, foul, loathsome smell repelled every laughter and every positive expectations and even made a bird cough. As the punctuality prefect caught a glimpse of the dirty apex of my socks, she could not help but slap my rough face.
“See this crazy girl, how dare you slap my face.” My mind said to her face 
“You are a good for nothing fellow. You keep doing big boy yet ordinary clean socks, you cannot wear. Grace! Give him two strokes of cane.”, Mr Pelumi the English teacher said.
As she swung forth the cane, I dodge and wai, it landed on the teachers face. My mandible was already far from the roof of my mouth. I could not help but feel pity for the gentleman.
“Eh! I am so sorry sir,” Grace begged, on her knees.
 As the man continued to touch his face and wonder what kind of embarrassment he was, my mind brought a picture of a man that Jack Sparrow met when he was running round a town in the popular “Pirates of the Caribbean” movie. They looked so Identical that I could not help but laugh.
The laughter was first in my mind, then to my face until I made a sound that drew all attention to me. I quickly closed my mouth with my hands.
The teacher and Grace looked at each other and suddenly came close to me. Whether it was slaps or blows: whether it was by shoe or by cane, I don’t know. I just know that tornadoes came upon me.
Well, I am in my bed at home. I don’t know how I made it home but I made it. I have used painkillers and I pray the pain goes swiftly.


Thank you for reading this Episode. Don't forget to comment, drop suggestions and recommendations. Wish you a lovely Easter. 

Word count: 992
Written by: Jegede Samuel Whyte 
Edited: Kolawole Precious Oluwasetemi 
©Livingwitness 




Comments

  1. This is beautiful! !! The use of words, description and relatable experiences is absolutely breath taking. Great job to the writer 💪

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful! The use of words, description and relatable experiences is absolutely breath taking. Great job to the writer.�� Bisola AINA

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't stop myself from laughing.
    This is a wonderful piece

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment