Don't Procastinate, Hydrate!

An old song says “water, e no get enemy” (i.e., water has no enemy). I could remember singing this song on a fateful day after receiving lectures from 8am — 3pm. It was quite sunny that day, the weather was hot. I hurriedly left the class after the lectures to get a tricycle that would transport me back to my hostel. Getting down from the tricycle, I had a sum of one hundred naira with me, so I decided to get a sachet of water as I was really thirsty. I went to a small stall to get it, but the vendor told me she had no change. I left her place with a decision of not splitting the money, but to rather walk fast to my hostel, so I would use it to transport myself back to school the next day. A Few meters away from my hostel, I was already sweating profusely, my tongue was dry: I was really thirsty. I got to my hostel and hurriedly opened the tap situated outside. Oops, there was no water. I had to scurry to my room at the farthest block, unlock my room door, grab a bottle of water on the table and drink in haste. I felt revived, and I sat down, soliloquizing “Man, you were dehydrated!” and from my lips came out “water no get enemy”.
Dehydration as simple as this noun sounds, can be very serious. About 60% of the human body is made up of water. Without this water, damage will; be done to the body cells, blood vessels etc. Regulation of body water occurs in an exchange manner between various organs in the body.
Replenishing fluid lost through activities such as respiration, sweating and urination causes the hypothalamus (a region of the brain) to stimulate a sensation called “thirst” which drives us to take in water. When you lose more fluid than you take in, which leads to deprivation of your body enough water to carry out its normal activities, you are said to be dehydrated and this can either be mild, moderate or severe.
Diarrhea and vomiting are major causes of dehydration in children; vigorous exercise under hot weather, not drinking enough water because you’re sick or busy and non-availability of water around you when traveling are causes of dehydration common among adults. 
Signs and symptoms of dehydration may differ due to age differences. In infants or young children; dry mouth and tongue, sunken eyes, sunken soft spots on top of the skull, diapers not wet for three hours are signs. In adult; dry mouth and tongue, confusion, extreme thirst, less frequent urination, dark colour urine indicates dehydration.
Frequent dehydration can make the urine become so concentrated that it becomes easy for stones to form. These stones can form in the kidney or outside which in turn can block the urine from flowing. It can also cause urinary tract infections (UTIs), it can cause a drop in blood pressure and a drop in amount of oxygen in the body hence, the feeling of dizziness
The U.S. National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine determined that an adequate daily fluid intake is: about 15.5 cups (3.7 liters) of fluids a day for men and about 11.5 cups (2.7 liters) of fluids a day for women. Therefore, taking five 75cl bottle of bigi water can save your body as a man and taking four 75cl bottle of bigi water can save your body as a woman.
Prevention they say is better than cure. Grab that bottle of bigi water and take it now! You are embarking on a long journey? Get a bottle of bigi water along with you. #WINKS

By Odeyemi Daniel, A 300 level Medical Physiology Student. 

Comments